Oct 13 2008

Forget ZipCar – Baltimore will have its Own Car Sharing Program

Published by at 9:16 pm under Resources,Uncategorized

About a year ago, Baltimore officials signed a deal with Flexcar that would bring their car sharing service to Baltimore.  However, when Flexcar merged with Zipcar, the deal was cancelled…and Zipcar didn’t seem to have any interest in expanding.

Therefore, Baltimore will be starting their own car sharing service.  Modeled off of a program in Philadelphia called PhillyCarShare, the city will create a non-profit organization that will run like a business very similar to Zipcar.

Follow this link to see a presentation on the program and the business plan:

Also visit:

9 Comments to “Forget ZipCar – Baltimore will have its Own Car Sharing Program”

1. baltimorerowhouseon 15 Oct 2008 at 11:37 am

I wish zipcar would come here. It worries me when I see a not for profit company running things – I’d rather have a couple of companies competing, but I guess there just isn’t a market for it yet. :-(

2. Jeffon 15 Oct 2008 at 7:08 pm

On the plus side, I think since Zipcar bought out Flexcar, they basically have no competition and can charge whatever they want. At least a non-profit might have lower rates.

3. chrismon 16 Oct 2008 at 1:24 pm

Yeah doesn’t really seem to be much of a market in Bmore. Who can survive in Bmore without a car? Not a whole lot of great public transit options unless you live in a few areas. And the people in the city that don’t have a car probably won’t be able to afford to rent one.

4. Jeffon 16 Oct 2008 at 10:08 pm

Suprisingly, I’m running into more and more people that are trying life in Baltimore without a car. Maybe if there was a car sharing option there might be more people that give it a shot. It will be interesting to see.

5. rudy don 18 Oct 2008 at 4:17 pm

It seemed popular in Seattle when I visited there, and that’s a city that has decent, but not great, public transportation (buses in most parts of the city). I think it could work here in certain neighborhoods where people could get to work or school without a car but would like access to one when needed.

6. baltimorerowhouseon 21 Oct 2008 at 11:59 am

I’m worried about a non-profit, but I’ll take this system in a heartbeat over a sharp stick in the eye. It would be great to have lots in Charles Village, Mount Vernon, Canton, Fells Point and Fedarl Hill to start.

7. balkon 21 Oct 2008 at 4:50 pm

Zipcar is already in Charles Village.

Hopefully this new system will put a few cars at the transit stops.

8. eddyramoneon 25 Jan 2009 at 3:40 pm

That’s exactly WHY there should be a car-sharing in baltimore.. BECAUSE the public transport is not so good…

I live in Federal Hill and do not own a car.

I walk to work downtown everyday (20 min walk), a mile and a half each way, so i walk 3 miles a day 5 days a week., 15 miles a week..I walk to O’s games… to the bars, to the restaurants.. to the harbor..when i visit my parents in Silver Spring i taxi to Penn Station or walk to Camden Station to take the MARC

But in the summer when my baseball team plays all its games in the county…i end up trying to bum a ride from people and it’s not so easy…a car sharing program would be PERFECT for me

9. ????? ????????????????blueeast??????????…

Forget ZipCar – Baltimore will have its Own Car Sharing Program | Baltimore Grows…

Trackback URI | Comments RSS